7 things you can reasonably do to help the planet

As mentioned in my previous post, I am quite the sceptic on isolating environmental activism to individual action. The recent popularity of Zero-waste trends/lifestyles basically sums up all the issues I have with mainstream environmentalism. This is mainly because this Pinterest brand of activism puts the blame on consumer and their personal greed/frivolity and is often completely tone-deaf to limiting factors such as wealth, convenience and education.

That being said, I do feel it is somewhat hypocritical of me to preach about environmentalism on the internet but not make any changes to my own life which reflect my support for sustainability. If you can reasonably make small changes to your everyday life or you have the energy and financial ability to make bigger ones it would be counterproductive not to. Not to mention, as we are so often faced with a rather bleak image of the realities of climate change and other environmental issues, it is understandable people want to be doing all they can to avoid contributing to the problem themselves.

So, after reading hundreds of blog posts and articles on 10 THINGS YOU CAN DO TO LIVE MORE SUSTAINABLY (or a something to a similar effect) I've managed to wade through a fair degree of the bullshit and put together a realistic, useful and affordable list of things you can do to help you sleep at night!

1) Have an eco-friendly kit
What I mean by this is a small group of things that you keep in your bag that can help avoid waste or choose more eco-options when you are out and about. This does not need to be filled with expensive eco-friendly accessories that you see on a lot of these lists. For a basic kit, I would only recommend things that either you would either already have in your home, are inexpensive and/or save you money. This could include:

  • A tote bag or an old plastic shopping bag 
  • A reusable coffee cup (This is becoming much more fashionable and some shops are even offering up to 25% off your drink if you use your own takeaway cup!) 
  • A spork or some type of reusable cutlery 
  • Tupperware of some sort - this has been so useful for me when I can't finish my meal at a restaurant and/or I don't want to use a takeaway container. It means you don't waste any of the money you spent on food as you can just take it home and have it for a snack or another meal later. In most places, if you ask, they will be more than happy to let you use your own container. I might get an odd look occasionally but equally, this could have nothing to do with my Tupperware and more to do with who I am as a person.  
  • Cloth napkin - random one but it actually is so useful for all manner of things (as someone who spills stuff quite a lot) but especially when you're caught out without a tissue to blow your nose or need to mop something up!
  • Water bottle - I found investing in a decent water bottle like a chilli bottle or a similar style was great for getting me to drink more water and stopped me needing to buy plastic bottles when I go out. Win-win!
As shown with reusable coffee cups, if it becomes the norm for people to start using simple eco-friendly alternatives, hopefully, more places will cater towards it! 

2) Support local green/eco initiatives
Supporting local groups or activities that tackle issues of sustainability is probably one of the most significant things you can do as an individual. One thing could be as small as signing some petitions dealing with local environmental issues such as fracking or recycling etc. Most organisations could really do with everyday-non-activist people supporting their cause as sometimes their concerns are seen as a bit too niche for the general public to care about. Additionally, if you are looking for a new hobby or want to do some volunteering look at some environmental groups in your area and use your time (if you have some to spare!) to help the planet.

3) Write to your local MP
You can write your own if there's a particular issue you are really passionate about or, alternatively, there are loads of template letters online from Greenpeace or Friends of the Earth available for different issues that you can send really easily. At the end of the day, even if you don't think your MP cares that much about your community, it is likely they still want to get re-elected. Therefore, if it looks like environmental concerns are important to voters in their constituency, there's a strong chance they will include it in their agenda.

4) Start gardening
I thought this would be a good one to include because it's not just good for the environment but its good for mental health, as a new hobby and can often save you some money. Just having a few houseplants is a really good way of improving the air quality/decoration of your home. Something as simple as looking after your own plant and watching it grow can make you feel more connected with nature and hopefully inspire you to do more to protect it! Herb gardens or simple homegrown veg can save you money in the long run and help you avoid excess packaging as well as food miles.  (I'm going to do another post about how to get started with gardening which will go into more of the specifics!)

5) Get educated
Simply, doing some research on environmental issues and becoming more aware of the dangers to our planet and its inhabitants can be one of the most useful things you can do! There are loads of resources online which explain anything from climate change to the consequences of using palm oil! Often environmental stories aren't headlined news so it can be hard to keep up to date on the latest scandals or eco-innovations. So, if you are ever browsing a news website try clicking on the 'environment' tab which will filter all the stories relating to eco-issues!

6) Use active transport more
If you've got the time and energy, walking or cycling more is good for your mental and physical health as well as the environment making it a perfect individual lifestyle change to make!

7) Think before you buy
I think it is important to acknowledge not everyone has the financial ability to choose where they shop. With this in mind, I'm not saying you need to buy organic all the time, become vegan and only buy handmade clothes made out of recycled materials. This is because, currently, we do not live in a society where these are affordable or easily available for the many. Instead, I would recommend using charity shops and buying second hand where possible. You can find some real treasures and original items in charity shops for a fraction of the price you would pay new. I found a lot of the stuff I needed moving into my first flat in charity shops and it saved me a lot of money. Clothes are also a great example of something you can buy easily second hand (depop, ebay etc.), save money and simultaneously avoid putting money into an industry that really harms the environment and its workers (sweatshops, harsh chemicals and waste are all major parts of the fashion industry).

I'd like to think this is a fairly reasonable list BUT I want to make really clear that you are not evil if you forget to or can't for whatever reason make such changes to your lifestyle. We all do what we can and I really hate the guilt some environmentalists put on people who aren't able to lead a totally pure eco-friendly life.

Also, I have to point out in the interest of balance, I can't totally shit on zero-waste environmentalist trends because I do actually follow a fair few in my personal life. However, I must make clear that is less because I believe it is the most productive way for me to help the environment and more because it is a hobby of mine to experiment with natural and eco-friendly alternatives. As a result, most of the stuff I do like making my own cosmetics or upcycling old clothes are things I wouldn't force people to do any more than I would with my other hobbies like running or blogging. Being super eco-friendly in all that you do is not for everyone and I'd be a pretty intolerable person if I shamed anyone who doesn't have the exact same interests/hobbies as me!

What is important to recognise is that realistically, capitalism is what is doing the real damage - not you forgetting your reusable coffee cup. So, do what you can and don't feel guilty about what you can't.

Peace and love,
Bethany x

P.S If anyone has any more simple and cost-effective lifestyle changes / individual action I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cycling

Environmental racism. Who Are The Biggest Losers When it Comes to Climate Change?